Thursday, August 26, 2010

Router lift and heads in progress

I've spent the past few weeks building a router lift. Many years ago, I bought this Bosch plunge router. It has a big powerful motor, 1/2” collet, varible speed, and a soft start and I thought it was big improvement over my little craftsman router. Except it weighed a ton and when I mounted it in my router table, it was really a pain to adjust the height of the bit. I’m not sure that router lifts had been invented back then. But I ran across Matthias Wandel’s website and his wooden geared router lift http://woodgears.ca/router_lift/index.html . Since I had no money for a nice metal lift or room for a separate router table, I decided to redo the side table on my saw and try this one out. A few parts, some scrap wood, and a few days work and voila! It works really well, locks solidly in place, and allows me to use my existing fence and the miter slots on my saw. It raises the bits enough that it makes bit changes quite easy, actually easier than it was with the plunge rails on it. I still need to make my sacrifice fences to attach to my regular fence, but I am excited that this tool will be a lot more convenient than it originally was. I was really surprised at how fast it works.

Here's a few heads I've been working on, but haven't decided what they are going to be. I started them just carving for fun, so they may end up as scrap or they may work into something. I kinda like the bald guy and am thinking about a tall, bent top hat. Maybe he is a grave digger? The pointy ear guy may turn into a Christmas elf or a leprechaun. Kinda has a young Leonard Nimoy look to him? The guy with the hat was started as a sailor (planned on adding a pipe). Suggestions, ideas, and comments always welcome!


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

1 comment: