Monday, July 18, 2011
Here is the progress so far. I completed the carving on all the sides, deciding on a neat winged dragon design for the back of the bird house (may help keep squirrels away). I received a couple of sample copies of a European carving magazine that had this neat design. It was originally a deep relief, pierced design, but I changed it up a bit for my bird house, with the wood burning and a more bird-like appearance for the dragon. Still some more detail burning to do and I have still haven't decided if it will need any color, like on the flowers. I have both sides burned and will complete the burning on this, before starting on the front. My thought is that this will get me limbered up, so to speak, and plenty of practice as I build up to doing the front piece that will be seen the most.